- Hormone imbalance leads to dark spots.
- Bergamot oil in perfumes can make your skin sensitive to the sun’s rays.
- Dark spots can develop when skin is exposed to irritants in the air.
- Scratching mosquito bites and pimples can cause scars and marks.
- Birth control pills make your body to produce hormones that cause hyperpigmentation.
Spot some dark spots on your face? Well, you can blame the sun, but it’s not the only culprit. In this article, experts from The Pond’s Institute shed light on five other factors that can cause dark spots on your face.
1. Hormonal changes
As you go through puberty, hormonal changes in the body can trigger acne. Severe acne can result in scars and marks that lead to dark spots.
2. Mixing perfume and sunshine
Many perfumes contain photosensitizers that make your skin sensitive to the sun’s rays, and promote pigmentation. This condition is known as ‘Berlock Dermatitis’ and develops when your skin is exposed to perfume and then, to sunlight. It has been linked to bergamot oil, which unfortunately, is present in one out of every three perfumes in the world.
In a bustling metropolis, your skin is exposed to a lot more pollutants in the air. To reverse the damage wrought by pollution and aggressors going into your skin, your cells produce antioxidants and excess melanin. Melanin inside your skin leads to the formation of dark spots on the outside of your skin. Hence, pollution would play as an accomplice to sunlight in causing dark spots.