The human body is entirely dependent on water. Even with sufficient oxygen and food, our bodies cannot survive without water. The water we drink rehydrates and refreshes us and carries essential nutrients to our various body parts. Considering that our skin is the largest organ in our body, it is especially important for our skin to remain properly hydrated during the course of the day. Sufficient water in our skin cells combats skin disorders, wrinkles and a dull complexion. In addition, hydration ensures optimal elasticity and generally helps to delay the symptoms of ageing.
The golden rules
- A good rule of thumb is to aim for 8 glasses of water a day. We lose water through perspiration, breathing and other obvious bodily functions. In order to maintain an optimal level of hydration, we should be drinking close on 2 litres of water per day. A good tip is to fill two one litre containers with water at the start of the day and gradually work your way through your supply as your day progresses.
- Drinking enough water can assist you in looking younger as dehydration can result in dull and flaky skin. Furthermore, dry and tight skin is much more susceptible to injuries such as scratches and rashes - and takes longer to heal. So, if you want to stay ahead of the game and avoid skin abrasions, fine lines and sagging skin, go ahead and pour yourself another glass.
- Detox made easy. Water is central to effective digestion, blood circulation and the detoxification of our bodies so drink up buttercup!
- While water is an essential ingredient in our diet, it cannot replace the effect of a good moisturiser to plump up and protect our skin. For optimal effect, we should nourish our skin cells inside and out. A good beauty cream will compliment a healthy diet and sufficient water intake and ensure we achieve maximum results.
- It is not necessary to wait until you are thirsty to drink water and you don’t have to wait until your skin feels dry to moisturize. Good skincare starts by moisturising your face and rest of your body every day, especially after you’ve washed. Make this the time to learn about holistic skin care so that you can guide your family in the right direction. Clink clink!