Skin types and conditions may come down to genetics but what you see in the mirror also boils down to your daily skincare habits.
Caring for your skin is a highly personal affair rooted in knowing your true skin type. Only then can you pick skincare products that bring out the best in your skin.
Figuring out your true skin type is not an exact science, so it can be a difficult task for most people. Your skin changes over time and is affected by diet, weather, hormones, and other factors such as age and water content.
Skin Types Explained
What Are the Main 4 Skin Types?
There are essentially four main skin types you can find, namely; dry skin, oily skin, combination skin and balanced skin. This can be determined by how your skin is and reacts to certain products.
Here’s a breakdown of types of skin to help you determine yours:
- Oily skin: Oily skin appears greasy, has large pores, and is most prone to breakouts.
- Dry skin: Dry skin is rough and flaky. It has an uneven texture, feels tight and can feel itchy because it lacks moisture.
- Combination skin: Combination skin is a blend of oily and dry skin resulting in an oily forehead, and nose (the T-zone) and dry cheeks. The T-zone is prone to breakouts.
- Balanced skin: This skin type produces just the right amount of sebum. Balanced skin typically has fine pores, a smooth texture and no blemishes, or breakouts.
You might be wondering why sensitive skin isn't included in the list. That’s because sensitive skin is a skin condition, not a skin type. Any skin type can experience sensitive skin. Sensitive skin often feels tight and itchy, can have uneven texture, and is often prone to rashes. This is why people with sensitive skin are very careful about the skincare products they use.
How to Take Care of My Skin Using Pond's?
Pond’s beauty products address specific concerns you may have and cater to your actual skin type. An effective skincare routine comprises four main steps: cleansing, toning, applying serum, and moisturising. Grounding your skincare routine in these four rituals rewards you with the confidence that you are doing the best for your skin.
Pond’s Skincare Routine Steps:
- Cleansing . Washing your face removes dirt, makeup and pollutants. Washing twice daily – morning and night – helps prevent pimples, clogged pores, and dullness. Pond’s Micellar water is an excellent facial cleanser; it cleanses your skin while retaining the essential, healthy oils.
- Toning. Toners help prepare the skin for serum and moisturiser application. Pond’s toners gently cleanse any residual dirt and help tighten pores to give skin a smooth look and feel.Toners help balance the skin's pH. Pond’s toners contain nutrients like Vitamin B3 and Vitamin E.
- Serums. Serums are the elixir of youth for all types of skin. Pond’s serums are packed with potent ingredients such as retinol, vitamin B3 and glycerine to protect, nourish and hydrate your skin. They are your secret weapon against skin dullness, dark spots, wrinkles, fine lines, and pimples. After applying the toner, while your skin is still damp, apply your Pond’s serum.
- Moisturising. Moisturiser hydrates and softens your skin by preventing water loss through the outer layers. They complement your skin’s protective oils and building blocks such as ceramides. Dermatologists recommend using a moisturiser daily since your skin’s ability to retain moisture reduces with age. A Pond’s tip: matching your moisturiser to your skin types and conditions gets you the best results.
Which Skin Type is Best?
Your skin is a living, breathing organ that changes with age, diet, and lifestyle. Therefore, the best skin type is the one you have. Pond’s excellent product range cares for various skin types, so you can give your skin the TLC it deserves.