Different skin types come with different advantages and each has its own set of challenges. Possibly the most difficult to treat and control is that of sensitive skin, which is really more of a skin condition than a type. While certain conditions, such as psoriasis and eczema, can cause skin to be naturally intolerant, it’s usually the things that we do, or the way in which we neglect our skin, which causes sensitivity.
5 Tips for Caring for Sensitive Skin
1. Simplify your routine. When it comes to sensitive skin, maintaining a simpler skin care routine that is quick and effective is always the best course of action. Use the bare minimum of skin care products and try stick to items from a similar range that work for your skin to avoid unexpected reactions.
2. Be gentle. Whether cleansing or moisturising, treat your skin as gently as possible. Use your fingertips to work cleanser onto your skin, pat dry after rinsing and dab creams and serums on lightly.
3. Read your labels. Always look at the list of ingredients on the back of your skin care products. It may be daunting at first, but it’s a brilliant way in which to avoid buying products that could irritate your skin. Be wary of those containing alcohol, sodium laureth or laurel sulphate (SLES) and added fragrances. Choose fragrance-free¬ and alcohol-free skin care products to reduce the risk of reactions.
4. Cleanse carefully. Use a milk or cream cleanser, preferably one that is free from soap and SLES, to avoid drying out your skin as you cleanse. Generally, the more a cleanser foams, the higher the concentration of sulphates, which can strip skin of its natural, protective oils and cause dryness and irritation.
5. Protect it. Ensure that your skin is nourished and hydrated by using a moisturiser or treatment oil after cleansing. Keeping skin well-hydrated, and using products that help to reinforce its natural barrier and lock in moisture, will help to prevent skin from becoming dry, flaky and itchy. A sun protection product is also a skin care essential and should be applied every morning to protect your skin from the sun.