- Don’t wash your face too often.
- Use lukewarm water to wash your face.
- Wash away excess oil by using cleansers that contain salicylic acid.
- Use cleansing wipes for quick cleans during the day.
- Remove all traces of makeup at night.
- Pond’s Oil Control Face Moisturiser keeps skin hydrated without blocking pores.
We know that oily skin can sometimes feel like a curse. When oily skin rages out of control due to hormones, environmental factors or other pimple aggressors, it can feel like a real pimple-producing nightmare.
So how do we keep our oily skin under control? Our skin experts from The Pond’s Institute listed 6 steps we can all include in our skin regimes to keep the oil in check.
1. Wash your face, but not too often
It may be very tempting to cleanse your face each time it gets oily. But in fact, over-cleansing can make your skin produce extra oil. Wash your face 2 to 3 times a day, max. Once in the morning and before you go to bed. You can wash once after lunch too, if you’d like. A good solution that’ll cleanse your skin is Pond’s Lasting Oil Control Face Wash.
2. Wash your face with lukewarm water
Very hot and very cold water can strip your skin of its natural oils. This throws the moisture balance off by making skin excessively dry. So to compensate, your skin produces more oil, resulting in a vicious oil-producing cycle. The key is to stick to water at room temperature— not too hot, not too cold.
3. Pick a cleanser with salicylic acid
Salicylic acid controls sebum production and limits bacterial growth. It also encourages the shedding of dead skin cells and unclogs pores. This prevents skin inflammation and the formation of the different types of acne variations - whiteheads, blackheads or pimples. Read more about the different types of pimples here.
4. Remove make-up at the end of the day
After a whole day of exposure, your pores can get clogged with makeup residue, excess oil, dirt, dust and bacteria. If this combination doesn’t inspire you to cleanse, think about what happens when you let it stew in your pores overnight. Clogged pores can become can form pimples, making the oily skin situation a lot worse.